The Society in Second Life
Be a virtual volunteer in a 3D event
Second Life® is the largest ever 3D virtual world built entirely by its users. It’s also the home of a different type of American Cancer Society community event – a virtual one. Since its inception in 2004, Relay For Life of Second Life has raised over $2 million for the fight against cancer. Team members do many of the same things that you see at a live Relay event. They walk 3D world laps, light virtual Luminaria, and make donations using digital currency Linden dollars. In addition, in 2014, a Making Strides Against Breast Cancer virtual event was also added to Second Life.
- Worldwide opportunities available.
- Virtual volunteer positions available.
- Team members meet online whenever it is convenient for your team.
- If you are new to Second Life, many free tutorials are available to help you with your avatar and with building.
Second Life volunteers have the ability to reach out to millions of people all over the world, sharing the Society’s mission and advocating for those touched by cancer. Each person who shares the Society’s Second Life experience can take pride in knowing that they are working to create a world where cancer will no longer threaten our loved ones. The Society events in Second Life are truly a worldwide effort of diverse communities coming together for one common goal – to eliminate cancer as a major health concern.
Volunteer Positions and Responsibilities
- Society Second Life team members volunteer their time toward participating in the event and fundraising.
- Skilled builders are needed to work on projects in the Second Life community.
- Talented scripters are needed to help develop and maintain our fundraising tools (must know LSL).
- You must be a resident of the Second Life virtual world and have an avatar.
To volunteer for this opportunity join or log-in to Second Life and visit American Cancer Society Island to form or join a team.
Questions about The Society in Second Life can be directed to Jeffrey Montegut